Sunday, July 17, 2011

Allow me to introduce myself...

Hi there!  My name is Karen and I am going to attempt this blog.  I cannot guarantee how often I will post, or how well written it will be, whether anyone will read it, follow it, comment on it, or really, even benefit at all from reading it.  But, I am going to do it anyway.  So there.


Let me explain my title...

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the ripe "old" age of 35.  Just a couple months short of 36.  For those of you who aren't PWD (Person/People with Diabetes) or just generally knowledgeable about it, Type 1 is what used to be called Juvenile Diabetes, and generally kids come down with it.  But, because there are more and more people like me out there, they have changed the name to Type 1, because it is not just "juveniles" that come down with it anymore.  

At one of my initial appointments with my (then new) endocrinologist, I asked how I could have Juvenile Diabetes as an adult.  And he said, "You are just juvenile at heart."  And there you have it.  

At my one year anniversary of diabetes, I decided to switch from multiple injections daily to using an insulin pump.  Really, SO MUCH better.  Don't misunderstand...there are moments where I want to just rip the stupid thing out of my tummy (or wherever it happens to be attached that day) and huck it out a car window.  Then I pray, calm down, and remember to be grateful.  As my wonderfully patient husband reminds me on my "poor pitiful me days"...one hundred years ago, they didn't HAVE insulin, and I would be dead by now.  And the pump IS really much better, subtle, and socially acceptable than injections. (for me, anyway)  I don't have bruises all over my tummy.  Just an extra funky "nipple".  (seriously!)  That moves.  Every three days.  I don't have waitresses walk up to ask how we are liking our food while I have a needle sticking out of my "inch" that I happen to be pinching.  (Never fails...if not when your mouth is full, while you are shooting up)

I am a Christian, I am a wife, a stepmom, a dental hygienist, a sister, daughter, friend.  And, I am a diabetic.   I have a wonderful life.  And, a sarcastic sense of humor (you have been warned!)  Really, who wouldn't want this life???  So, come share it with me...

1 comment: