Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Getting closer...

OK, well, just a couple of days til I start on the CGM.  Quite a few of you helped me with ideas on names, mostly on Facebook.  Some very original, funny ones too!!  Thank you so much!  Still haven't decided on one, (well, okay, two...) but we shall see how it goes.  Might have to live with it for awhile...Update later.

So, for some reason, I am now getting nervous about this whole thing.  The logistics of it are stressing me out.  So, I have the pump attached to my tummy, which lives in my pocket or clipped onto my belt or waistband.  Possibly, in a thigh strap with a dress, or occasionally in my bra.  I already have to make that decision daily, sometimes multiple times a day, depending on what I am doing and how many times I have to change my clothes.

Then, when I go to bed, I have to clip it on my jammies, and try not to roll onto it while I'm sleeping.  Don't misunderstand me, I DO roll onto it, and it briefly wakes me up, til I move it or I move, and go back to sleep.  Seriously, I don't think I have slept through an entire night since I got it.

THEN, I am about to add another piece of machinery to my gadget collection.  It will be attached to me, but it's wireless.  However, it will still need to be near me...like in my purse, pocket, on my nightstand, etc.  So, not QUITE as much of a pain, but still a pain.  Not to mention that I have to carry my monitor, test strips, and poke-er thingee with me, plus glucose tablets, at all times.  I used to like little to medium sized purses.  Now, I require medium to large.  Mostly large.  (Partly because of my gorgeous, luxurious, big ol' wallet that my son gave me for my birthday...super cute, non-diabetic story)  Anyway, this whole electronic aspect of diabetes has changed life in ways both big and small.  Some involuntary, some voluntary.  This next step is voluntary.  Recommended and encouraged by my doctor.  But still my choice.  Sometimes I wonder why I am excited about it.   

I am quite a control freak about lots of things.  My doctor says that diabetes is a great disease to have if you are a control freak.  And, this new gadget will help me get it under really tight control.  Which is cool.  Really cool.  :)   So, I have been chatting with God about this, and realizing that He has a plan.  And, that it will be okay.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil 4:13)  I believe this is a step that God wants me to take.  I understand that it might not be easy.  But it will be good for me, and will help me to be healthy, and to take care of this imperfect body that God gave me, until I get to heaven for that awesome, perfect heavenly body. (I am just assuming that if it is "perfect" that it will include a functioning pancreas. Yay God!) Yes, I still have to make healthier choices in eating and choose to exercise more often (okay, at all!)  But still..."'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.'" (Jer. 29:11)  Oh, that gives me such peace when I just remember to remember it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment